Sunday, October 25, 2009

HD Ranch Tour

This afternoon I went out and toured the HD Ranch. They have a small barn, 8 or 9 BIG pastures with lean to's, a round pen and a BIG riding arena and a jumper's course. Francie, the owner, had stopped in at Walgreens the other day (the drive-through) and I saw her stallion's picture on the side of her truck, a big Hanoverian that she had just sold. So, I contacted her by email and enquired about riding lessons. Today was windy but sunny and I met the barn manager and then we walked out to some of the pastures and I met the horses. She has a couple of Hanoverians, a Trakhener, a part Percheron, a Quarter Horse, and a couple of Thoroughbreds. They were all very gentle and interested in meeting new people.

She only has an outdoor riding ring so they quit lessons when the snow and cold get to be a problem. Beautiful scenery and well built fences.. Francie is 60 years old and understands the 'missing horses' thing I have dealt with for several years now. She is originally from Michigan and so we have the 'Midwesterner' thing going too.

Francie and her husband also raise black and tan coonhounds. I had Manley in the car and he was just ignoring the hounds that were circling at times. HD stands for hound dog.

So, to work on a budget and figure out how many lessons I can take is my next step.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What did you find out about the other place that you can ride at?
Sounds like you had a busy day. I did too, after my grandkids left (we had such a good weekend) I went to Joanne fabrics and got some yarn for dishrags and some halloween fleece for blankets.
Joyce

jane augenstein said...

Oh, Julie, this is exciting!!! Riding lessons and on some BIG horses too! I think Gilly is as big as I wanna get, it hurts to fall off him I can't imagine what it would be like to fall off a 16.2 or 17 hand horse...ugh! I guess the thing is "don't fall off!" LOL Have fun and do post more when you do ride!!!
Jane

dexmangoldens said...

Joyce, the other lady did not have any horse suitable for me. Glad you had a good weekend.

dexmangoldens said...

Jane, yes, just don't fall off. I am very excited and have to wait til Wed. to decide about my budget. I know it is late in the year, but I just can't wait. Been there, done that, right?? Of course I will post as things develop and maybe they can take pix of me on my new digital camera !!!!!