Saturday, July 11, 2009

A Great Day for Manley

Well, Manley certainly had a fun day. We went for a short walk this morning and then I had to clean, do laundry, fill the pond, sit in the hot tub and then get ready for the house to be shown at 2:30.
Well, about 2:00, I went to let Manley out and put him in the xpen. Then I was going to go visit with the neighbors. Well, I did not put a leash on Manley. (Don't forget, he doesn't wear a collar with id or rabies tag, but he does have a chip.) So, I opened the xpen door and said 'kennel up' and he took one look at me, scooted right past me and took off over through the neighbors yard and down the hill.

Ok, there is a main road about 2 blocks away but LOTS of woods, houses and side roads in between. Lots of deer trails..... Manley is not aware of what cars are all about, so of course I worried---a lllooootttttt.

So, I called for him and went into the wooded area looking for him.......
Then the people looking at the house showed up and they really didn't care if I was there or not. At least they liked my place and were interested in keeping me as a renter. THAT was good news!!

About 3 & 1/2 hours later, after driving up and down the main road, plus a lot of back roads yelling for Manley, I gave up and sat down and cried my eyes out. I was praying that some one took him in and was keeping him safe and sound.

I then called Animal Control to see if someone had reported finding a Golden Retriever. Thank God, some one had. So I called and met the Animal Control person 2 blocks north of here and followed her up and around the big hill and to a house nested in amongst 3 more houses.
(Up where I had been looking.)

Manley, thank God, was safe and sound, kept this couple company and was sticking around and watching the guy putter in the garage. They had eventually put him in a small xpen with water.

I drove up and saw their dog, who is next door daily wandering around, and knew why he had come this far.. He had been following that dogs trail to his own house.

So, Manley was happy to see me and we thanked the couple and gave hugs all around, then got in the van and drove away.
As the crow flies, their house is about 1/2 mile north west from mine. Pam now has my phone number in case he shows up there again. And he better not!!

Lesson learned---always keep Manley on a leash and/or keep a collar on him with the id tag on it. And don't take it personally when they run off. They don't know how upset that will make you or how many tears will be shed or how many anxious moments will be spent waiting for them to show up at home on their own.

He is now sleeping next to my chair, his head on his newly laundered purple bunny, sound asleep. Thank you God for listening to my prayers today and keeping Manley safe.

I plan on sitting on my butt and watching the Nascar Race from ChicagoLand this evening and going to bed early.
Not much to do tomorrow except drive out to Lora's and meet their cat that I will be taking care of when they go on vacation in another week.
Lawn doesn't need mowing so will just read and relax the rest of the day.
Perhaps will take Manley for a walk---the opposite way that he went today.

My mom's husband Ray made it though surgery yesterday and then had a small set back last night so my mom has had a long day. Hope she can get some rest tonight and things go fine and Ray is on the mend.

A yearling deer just walked through the rock garden to the pond and then past the garage. He wasn't real concerned with Manley barking at him. Just walked off.

Later.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am sooooo glad you got Manley back safe and sound!!! That must have been a real scare for you!!!
Joyce

kks said...

how scary...manley just wanted to visit his friend....you poor thing, i'm sure you were frantic...so glad all worked out!!!

dexmangoldens said...

Kim, yes I was frantic.
Joyce, yes it wss scarey.
I figured a Golden would just walk up to someone (after he got done eating deer poop) and they'd take care of him, but who knows with bear and cougars.....and traffic.
So, now more off leash time for him!!

Jacque. said...

huh. Seems we talked about this possiblity. I am sure the anxiety/stress of wondering where/how he was is enough to cover anything I might say. Glad Manley was safe...would've had to come out there and do serious harm to you if he had not been.

Jody said...

Oh Geez!!! Glad Manley is ok. :) Love you!! Jody

Jan said...

I like Jacque's comment! I have to say though, I didn't sleep for 12+ hours the first weekend I moved to Waldo. Ended up driving to Janesville to get Stella the next day. I can see Manley wandering off, but Stella???? That was a shocker! We searched for her until dark and called the Vet the next morning. Thank God, she had her rabies tag on. She also had a tag with her name, but an old phone number that I hadn't changed yet.

I'm so glad you found Manley. It is a horrible feeling not knowing where your children are!!! ;)

Anonymous said...

t's such a tickety-boo site. fabulous, acutely intriguing!!!

-------

[url=http://oponymozgowe.pl]Opony[/url]
[url=http://pozycjonowanie.lagata.pl]Pozycjonowanie[/url]

[url=http://www.linkhouse.pl/zdrowie,i,uroda/opony,s,3399/]opony[/url]